- Nino: You're more perceptive than I thought.
- Nino: Are you... hurt?
- Aria: ...I'm a little upset, I admit.
- Aria: But I'm not hurt.
- Aria: I'm worried.
- Aria: You make me worry so much, Nino.
- Nino: What...?
- Nino: ...What are you talking about?
- Aria: You want me to help, but...
- Aria: You won't even talk to me first.
- Aria: Instead, you thought of all this trickery.
Aria: Wait, what does Nino not recognize?
Not of you, but of himself.
He really doesn't see how bad it is.
- Aria: I'm not the one who wasn't able to trust the other party.
- Aria: I'm not the one who felt the need to manipulate, just to get what I want.
- Aria: So... why would I be the hurt one here?
- Aria: That was all you.
- Aria: Why was this your first thought, rather than taking anyone's input?
- Aria: Isn't acting like that... really lonely?
- Aria: Aren't you hurt, Nino?
Aria: This isn't the Nino who gave you hope and saved your life. It's like there are two of them.
Nino is Nino.
The fact that he's beginning to show a different side of himself doesn't suddenly make him someone else. It also doesn't erase what good you've previously seen from him, and you certainly will not forget it so soon - even if he has.
With or without memories, he is still the same person.
That's why, you believe he can come to understand his mistake.
- Nino: Hurt...? No, I'm just being careful.
- Nino: I... took the method that ensured you wouldn't refuse.
- Aria: But you haven't even tried asking.
- Aria: I don't think that's careful. It's closer to paranoid.
- Aria: And you are most certainly hurting yourself with it.
- Aria: So instead... would you talk to me?
- Aria: Can you tell me why your first thought was to go behind our backs?
- Nino: ...
- Aria: ...It's okay, if you don't want to discuss it.
- Aria: I meant it when I said that I won't refuse to help.
- Aria: You can use me. Really.
- Nino: Why...?
- Nino: Even though... you correctly guessed everything,
- Nino: You'll still go along with it?
- Aria: Yes. I don't want to refuse someone as sad as you.
- Nino: ...Sad? Excuse me?
- Aria: I meant what I said.
- Aria: Your first thought was manipulation.
- Aria: I think that is very sad.
Nino: The path of manipulation will not work here, but an honest answer might.
And, "use me", she says. That's convenient for you, isn't it?
Does that mean your work here has succeeded?
If so, then what about her?
Why can she smile so, despite the position she places herself in?
Reed: Attempt to listen in.
- Meimona: Reed?
- Meimona: What are you doing there?
- Reed: Uh.
- Reed: *Cough*.
- Reed: Just existing.
- Meimona: Oh... are you eavesdropping!?
- Five: Reed, that's bad!
- Five: Sis told Five so! No sneaking!
- Reed: God dammit.
- Reed: Leave me alone, you children.
- Meimona: Woah, I'm not a child!
- Meimona: And you don't talk to the super-boss this way!
- Reed: Shut it! You're so loud.
- Meimona: So you're that worried, huh?
- Reed: ...About what.
- Meimona: Um, the obvious elephants outside the room, duh.
- Meimona: You don't have to pretend to be a stoic brick wall all the time.
- Meimona: I'm worried too! It's okay to admit it, see?
- Five: Mei... Mei?
- Five: There's an ELEPHANT outside!?
- Reed: Um.
- Meimona: Oops.
Mei: Attempt an explanation.
- Meimona: Actually... yes, Five!
- Five: Whoa!!
- Meimona: There's two of them, in fact!
- Five: WHOAAA!
- Reed: Dude... what are you doing.
- Five: Let's go outside!!!
- Five: Five wants to see the elephants!
- Meimona: Nuh-uh, sorry! But no can do, boss.
- Meimona: They're discussing top-secret stuff, you see.
- Five: Oh...
- Five: So Five can't listen to it?
- Meimona: Nope!
- Meimona: But, you know what?
- Meimona: I don't think either of the elephants is a bad guy!
- Meimona: So we shouldn't eavesdrop on them, even if we can.
- Five: Oh... okay! Five understands!
- Five: Five... will respect elephants!
- Five: But Five thinks, Five will have a secret meeting too...
- Five: With doggy and kitty!
- Ludwig: Bork?
- Boyfriend: Mrow!?
Super-boss: Have secret meeting with new subordinates.
- Meimona: Well... how about it?
- Meimona: Did you get what I'm trying to say?
- Reed: ...You're putting your blind trust in someone you just met.
- Meimona: Hmm, time doesn't really matter to the point I'm making.
- Meimona: C'mere, that's not how you deal with your worrying, Reed.
- Reed: Wha- stop it, hey!
- Reed: Don't pull!
- Meimona: C'mon! Quit standing by the door like a creep!
- Meimona: You don't snoop on people you trust! Alright?
- Reed: ...Look.
- Reed: That guy's only thinking of himself.
- Reed: I don't understand what else the manipulation was for.
- Meimona: Emm, I'm not so sure about that.
- Meimona: Didn't you want to leave soon, too?
- Reed: Uh.
- Reed: It would be favorable for me, sure...
- Reed: But I'm definitely not on board with forcing it.
- Meimona: Oh! so if I'm getting this right...
- Meimona: It's less about how Nino's plan sounds risky,
- Meimona: And more about his treatment of Aria?
- Reed: ...
- Meimona: C'mon, don't you know how trust works?
- Meimona: Trusting someone means I won't care what happens behind closed doors...
- Meimona: Because I believe they'll be the same as ever.
- Reed: It's not like I don't want to trust Nino.
- Reed: Even though he was incredibly insulting.
- Reed: But, considering the way Aria is...
- Reed: ...Meh.
- Meimona: Ahh, no no, when you let your worry get the best of you,
- Meimona: And you try to verify your trust with sneaky ways like this...
- Meimona: You become what ruins it in the first place.
- Meimona: Because snooping and trusting someone don't go hand in hand!
- Meimona: More like fist to fist!
- Reed: What are you rambling about...
- Meimona: Hehe!
- Meimona: I'm not saying that I'll follow Nino blindly, either.
- Meimona: I definitely wanna hear more details from him first!
- Meimona: But, for now...
- Meimona: I'm saying that letting those two talk alone is a part of trusting them.
- Meimona: I trust the Nino I know, who often misspeaks, but ultimately means well,
- Meimona: To be planning things with our benefit in mind.
- Meimona: But, if you don't trust Nino in the way I do...
- Meimona: Then what about Aria?
- Meimona: What do you trust the Aria you know for?
- Reed: ...
Might be easily swayed into doing something against her wishes. Right?
Somehow, that doesn't seem entirely correct.
Even after a life lived in fear of monsterkind, she still decided to dedicate her efforts towards saving one of those very people - no matter how much you criticized her decision in your first meeting.
Sometimes she's worryingly careless when it comes to herself, but she's always so tender with others. She also has this ridiculous super power of recognizing people's intentions, and acting accordingly.
Right, she's headstrong in her own way.
After all, she's gotten through to you in such little time.
Nino: Attempt to be more honest.
You're not in the wrong. You just did what made sense.
It's reasonable to keep your guard up, to remain safe even in the worst scenario possible, right? And ultimately, you're not going to cause her harm.
So why does it feel like you're in the wrong?
- Nino: ...Um.
- Nino: I didn't think I'd hear this kind of response.
- Nino: I... didn't actually intend to hurt you.
- Aria: ...So I wasn't supposed to have realized this?
- Aria: Was I supposed to be ignorant in following you,
- Aria: Since you don't believe I'd agree to your request if you asked directly?
- Aria: But to assume that without even trying... isn't it a little unfair?
- Nino: ...I just thought that...
- Nino: If I end up getting the best outcome anyway,
- Nino: Then the way I accomplished it wouldn't matter.
- Nino: ...Even if it was a bit dishonest.
- Aria: If "ultimately", you didn't mean to hurt me...
- Aria: To you... the end justifies your means?
- Aria: "If we end up happy, then it doesn't matter if the path was thorny."
- Aria: Is it like that?
- Nino: ...That's not wrong.
- Nino: I know the risks. I really will keep all of us safe.
- Nino: And in the end, we'd both reach a good result with everyone else...
- Nino: By then, there'll be nothing that hurts you.
- Aria: No... That's not good, Nino.
- Aria: If you have to be dishonest to reach a good result...
- Aria: Then you're hurting yourself.
- Aria: You might think it to be in the majority's favor to do this,
- Aria: But isn't the path towards a good result important, as well?
- Aria: You say that if we follow you in ignorance, we'll end up in a good place.
- Aria: But if you guide us with lies...
- Aria: Your part in this good end will be muddied and questionable.
- Aria: Letting doubt and lies lead your way... is unfair to yourself.
- Aria: So I don't like it.
She's so unafraid to trust you and the others. Does she not feel any danger?
Or... to her, does the benefit of trust outweigh the risk?
- If you leave everything up to such people...
- It'll only end badly for them.
- They follow you, but you do not follow them.
- Aria: Nino, depend on me, so I can depend on you too.
- Aria: Would it really be that bad if we worked together?
- Aria: Really, it's okay to be honest with me. I'd prefer that much more.
- Aria: I swear that I'll be honest with you in turn, too...
- Nino: ...
- Nino: Can I really trust you?
- Aria: Yes.
- Nino: But...
- Nino: ...Agh! Forget it.
- Nino: That was such a pointless question.
- Aria: Why is that so?
- Nino: Because... you don't outright ask someone something like this!
- Nino: Then they can just tell you want you want to hear.
- Nino: It's like friendships, right?
- Nino: You don't ask someone, "can we be friends".
- Nino: You just become friends naturally.
- Nino: There's no official process for these kinds of things.
Aria: Kill 'em with kindness?
- Aria: Oh, is that how it is for other people? Hehehe, interesting!
- Nino: W-what's so funny about that?
- Aria: Well, I asked that exact question to the only friend I... used to have.
- Aria: Um, Kotori... if you remember her.
- Aria: I really trusted her, and considered her my closest friend.
- Nino: ...
- Aria: So I think I am one of the people who do act this way!
- Aria: I'm not proud of it... unfortunately, I'm so obvious about everything.
- Aria: It's probably why Reed always calls me a bad liar.
- Aria: But because of that, when you ask if you can trust me...
- Aria: Then, all I'm giving you are real answers.
- Aria: You can at least trust that I'm not a good liar, if it helps!
- Aria: This might be the only time I feel thankful for this flaw.
- Nino: Uh, I... I'm sorry.
- Nino: I didn't think about how you'd feel at all.
- Nino: Because I thought you just won't notice.
- Aria: Oh... I know I said I'm not hurt, so it's okay...
- Aria: But I guess I'm glad to receive an apology after all.
- Nino: Why do you still prioritize my wellbeing over your feelings?
- Nino: ...Even though you'd be right to hate me.
- Aria: Um... I don't want to hate you.
- Aria: Compared to you, I think I'm lucky.
- Aria: The others sympathize with me.
- Aria: But when you act like this, they're going to be against you, you know?
- Aria: Like this, you'd only be isolated...
- Nino: You're worried more about me than yourself.
- Nino: That's not a good thing.
- Aria: Well...
- Aria: You're not worried about doing things that hurt you at all.
- Aria: So if I don't worry about you, who will?
- Nino: ...This is insane, I...
- Nino: I can't accept this kindness.
- Nino: Aria, I...
"I only have myself."
- Nino: ...I have no right to it.
- Aria: Huh? That's a strange thing to hear.
- Aria: Who decided that?
- Nino: That's... well...
- Aria: Isn't it me that decides who I want to be kind to?
- Aria: This is the one thing you can't force me to do, so don't worry.
- Aria: It's my choice...
- Aria: I'll deal with the consequences of it myself.
- Aria: So... I'm here if you want someone to be honest with.
- Nino: ...Aria.
- Nino: Seriously... you're making yourself so easy to use.
- Aria: Oh... then will you try to trick me again?
- Aria: Please don't do that! You don't need a trick for me to agree.
- Nino: ...
- Aria: You can simply be honest.
- Aria: I promise that I'll extend you my understanding, as much as I can.
- Nino: No, you don't get it!
- Nino: If you make yourself so open like that, you're gonna get taken advantage of!
- Nino: But... okay.
- Nino: I'll think about it, okay?
- Nino: So no more worrying about me from your side, okay!?
- Nino: You... you...
- Nino: Augh! You should worry about yourself too!
- Aria: Hehe, okay, okay! I promise that I will!
Nino: Inform the others.
- Reed: Huh... really?
- Nino: Yes. We're really going.
- Reed: ...Are you really sure about this, Aria?
- Aria: Yeah! I'm fine with it.
- Aria: Are you... worried about me?
- Reed: What? No, no... I was just checking.
- Reed: This doesn't mean anything to me anyways.
- Reed: It's good enough if it means I'm not delayed in going home...
- Aria: Yes!
- Aria: I won't hold you guys back at all.
- Reed: ...
- Meimona: (Ooh, see, Reed?)
- Meimona: (Maybe this is gonna be okay like I said!)
- Reed: (If Nino makes her regret this, I'm kicking the crap out of him.)
- Meimona: (Um.)
- Meimona: (Wow.)
- Meimona: (Very violent...)
- Meimona: (...But I think I'd join you on it.)
- Aria: So, to summarize...
- Aria: Nino wants to recover his memories.
- Aria: And, there's a chance that simply being in the monster world could do it!
- Aria: Right?
- Nino: ...Yes.
- Reed: How can you be so sure of that?
But on second thought, nope. Not at all.
That wasn't the reason, you see. In a way, your dream was only a reminder, and so, you won't give it more credit than it deserves.
Also, you are not telling him about it, or anyone else for that matter.
Super-boss: Secretly finish secret meeting.
- Nino: ...It's my logical conclusion.
- Nino: I went to the monster world out of my own accord.
- Nino: And, the things I forgot were all events related to that world.
- Nino: Therefore, retracing my steps is a move in the right direction.
- Nino: But if I happen to never recover anything... you guys will still benefit.
- Nino: Reed gets to reach his home sooner,
- Nino: And we get to pursue Five's lab origins with safer odds.
- Aria: Huh? It's going to be safer?
- Nino: Yeah. The whole reason for the docks closing is that workers, including most guards, get a break leading up to the memorial after tomorrow.
- Meimona: I see! It's good for us if there's fewer eyes around, huh.
- Nino: Furthermore.
- Nino: Passing Five to our destination through the monster world is safer for her.
- Meimona: Eh... there's more...?
- Nino: Going by ship ultimately means having to pass through official check ups.
- Nino: During which, Five's disguise might be discovered.
- Nino: But this way, we ensure that we reach the capital with less risk of that.
- Aria: Oh, I see...
- Meimona: Huh. So you did think this through better than I thought.
- Meimona: Atta boy, I guess!
- Nino: Hey! I'm not taking that as a compliment.
- Nino: It just means you should think higher of me.
- Meimona: Wahahahahahah!
- Nino: Don't laugh! That wasn't a joke!
- Meimona: Well well, I don't mind this arrangement!
- Meimona: Human world or monster world, no one there bats an eye at a winged.
- Meimona: I'm on board if you all are!
- Aria: I agreed prior...
- Aria: And the explanation does make me feel more secure in my choice.
- Nino: Great! So that just leaves...
- Reed: ...
Reed: First things first.
Worrying about others is acceptable, but not when it interferes on the trust you place in them, and on respecting their wishes. Yes, even if you happen to disagree with their choices. God dammit. But it's fine. You can deal with it.
If this is the case, then...
There's a better way to remove your worries about everyone following this bloke.
- Reed: Look, wannabe-leader.
- Reed: As long as you don't fuck up, I don't care.
- Reed: I have all the tools to plan out a cross-barrier travel route.
- Reed: But if you want to lead us, then act like you're worth following.
- Nino: Uh. That's a given.
- Nino: As a leader, I give you my word here that I won't let harm touch any of you if I have a say about it.
- Reed: You better not be lying.
- Reed: I'm gonna hold you to it.
- Nino: Do what you want.
You just have to make sure that nothing goes wrong...
And that this guy doesn't get off easily with any half-assed ideas.
Party: Prepare as a team.
- Reed: Normally, I'm always a well-prepared guy.
- Reed: Even if my first plan fails, there's always a back up.
- Reed: A second, a third, a fourth...
- Reed: Up to a fifth back up plan at minimum.
- Reed: Heck, that's why I'm even able to cross the barrier without any fear.
- Reed: It's because I've always done things as I calculated.
- Reed: But yesterday, facing that pirate with you guys...
- Reed: That was the first time I'd been without a single plan to fall back on.
- Reed: It sucked.
- Reed: How do you all just stumble into stupid bullshit and hope to survive?
- Aria: It's because Nino saved us back there!
- Meimona: Hate to admit it, but... yeah? Very coolishly so.
- Nino: Ha, well, it's a given that I would.
- Reed: Sure, sure...
- Reed: We're in your debt, or whatever it is your ego wants to hear.
- Reed: But it's not always going to work out that well.
- Reed: So if we're travelling together, then I want to have plans.
- Nino: Leave it to me.
- Nino: If we know what each person's good at, we'll have an easier time.
- Reed: ...Sure.
- Reed: You better give us a solid plan for this crap.
- Reed: If you do, I'm willing to help.
- Reed: Otherwise, you can just fuck right off.
- Nino: Heh, okay, sure.
- Nino: If you'll still act like I haven't thought this through...
- Nino: Then let's see how capable we all are when we're together.