It's about time you got this bunch more organized.
And "organized" is certainly the word, you're about to sort everything by following a checklist. Literally. You've got a list of basic checks in mind - which you as a group must pass - to confirm that you're well-equipped for this daring detour of yours.
Let's get this started.
Check #1: Firepower.
Reed steps up as the first to demonstrate.
And in terms of raw power... he certainly is unmatched.
Reed: Use LEVEL 02 - BEAM.
- Meimona: Whoa! COOL!
- Aria: You have a different "shot" from this one, don't you?
- Aria: I remember it was some kind of wind-ish thingy!
- Reed: Oh, yeah.
- Reed: It's faster, and I don't need to charge for long.
- Reed: It's also quiet...
- Reed: So I generally use it when I don't want to make any noise.
- Aria: Ah, so it won't draw attention to us.
- Nino: That sounds pretty useful!
- Nino: How does it work?
- Reed: Uh. Don't ask me.
- Reed: I didn't make the damn thing. I only use it...
Reed: Use LEVEL 01 - GUST.
- Reed: ...Like so.
- Nino: Oh! That was swift!
- Aria: There goes the snowman's crown...
- Meimona: It's a halo, not a crown!
- Meimona: His wind blew it off of the snowangel!
- Reed: By the way, although this takes some time to charge,
- Reed: I can do a combination of both...
Reed: Use LEVEL 03 - HEATSTORM.
- Reed: ...Like so.
- Meimona: WHOAAAAA!
- Aria: Woah!!!
- Five: Look, kitty! Fireworks!
- Boyfriend: !
Reed: That's enough snow-murder.
- Nino: Impressive!
- Meimona: Dude! You murdered the snowangel!
- Aria: Yeah, I feel a little bad for it, melting like that...
- Aria: But that was amazing!
- Nino: Absolutely!
- Nino: No one would dare cross us if they saw you do that!
- Reed: Calm down, it's not that cool...
- Nino: YES IT IS!
- Meimona: IT IS!!!
- Reed: ...
- Reed: I guess so, huh.
- Nino: You're not even bound by some sorta ammo, either!
- Meimona: Oooh, so you can just keep shooting everything! Amazing!
- Reed: Oh, no. Don't get the wrong idea.
- Reed: I can keep shooting as much as I want, sure.
- Reed: But this is not running on infinite fuel.
- Aria: What do you mean?
- Reed: I mean that "shooting time" lasts for as long as there's enough fuel for.
- Reed: I happen to have some on me, so let me show you...
Party: Examine Lampyridite Fuel.
- Reed: This is raw Lampyridite.
- Reed: Its processed form is the fuel I'm using right now.
- Reed: And luckily, it's already the best choice to power these cannons up.
- Reed: It lasts for a long time, even under intensive use.
- Reed: So it's not I have no limitations at all, but...
- Reed: It's nothing to worry about for now, since I've got reserves.
- Nino: Oh, damn, you picked this up from the monster world!?
- Reed: Yeah.
- Reed: Collecting Lampyridite is just one other reason I've gone there.
- Meimona: Wuh, so it's not the first time you've done it...
- Nino: Dude, you say that like you're going grocery shopping or something.
- Aria: Yeah, no kidding!
- Reed: I mean, fuel is kind of an essential too...
For Reed's part, it looks like he's got himself covered in all areas.
As for the other two...
Aria and Mei: Draw weapons.
- Nino: Aria with a cleaver looks unexpectedly deadly.
- Nino: But Mei's claws are kind of pathetic, aren't they...
- Meimona: Hey! No they're not!
- Aria: I-I think the opposite is true, Nino.
- Aria: Mei is so strong, she can destroy anything with a punch or a slash!
- Meimona: That's right!
- Meimona: Heheee, Nino, considering who we have with us...
- Meimona: Think again, and you'll know that I'm definitely the strongest.
- Nino: (Oh, you haven't told them how it works, huh...)
- Meimona: (Shush! Free belief is great!)
- Meimona: C'mon, Aria! Aren't I the strongest!?
- Meimona: Tell these doubters what's UP!
- Aria: It's true!
- Aria: Mei's so strong that she would probably shatter your hand if you shook hers!
- Meimona: Ohoho!!! THAT'S RIGHT!
- Aria: She's so strong that I'm actually a little scared of her touching me...
- Aria: She could accidentally break our bones or something, hehe!
- Meimona: Yes! That's...
- Meimona: ...Uh... wait.
- Meimona: Maybe, not to that degree, Aria...
- Aria: Ah, don't downplay yourself! I've seen it first-hand!
- Aria: If you could shatter something a cleaver couldn't, I'm sure you can break a bone or two very easily.
- Meimona: ...
- Aria: It's a wonderful strength!
- Aria: But please do be careful around us, Mei.
- Aria: Oh, and you should try not to carelessly touch our stuff...
- Aria: You might use too much force and break them.
- Meimona: ...W-wait...
- Aria: Now that I think about it, we should try not to get too close to you.
- Meimona: Huh!?
- Aria: Like I said, you could accidentally touch us with too much force!
- Aria: Five, don't go near Mei, alright?
- Aria: It's a bit dangerous.
- Five: Oh... okay?
- Meimona: ...Waa...
Meimona: This is DANGEROUS.
- Meimona: ...Waaaaaah!
- Meimona: Nino! Make her stop!!!
- Meimona: She's going to turn me into an accidental serial bone-breaking-killer!
- Aria: W-what?
- Nino: That's what you get for trying to flaunt your luck as flawless...
- Meimona: WAAAH, AM I NEVER GONNA BE ABLE TO TOUCH ANYONE EVER AGAIN!?
- Nino: You need to sort out the belief stuff with these two.
- Nino: Or it's going to backfire even worse.
- Meimona: Aaah! That's scary!!!
- Aria: Belief...?
- Reed: ?
- Meimona: Having too much power is unexpectedly terrifying...
- Meimona: :'[
- Nino: Get up, I'm starting to feel a little bad for you...
- Nino: It's fine, I'll help you do the talking.
- Meimona: ... :']
Which is strange, since she divulged the details to you right away.
Is there a reason her strategy was different from person to person up until now? Was she simply pressed for time on how to make use of Aria's ignorant belief back then, or did she have something else in mind? Who knows.
But this is interesting, isn't it? The "wrong" belief can hinder Mei a lot.
It also bothers her to such an unexpected degree, huh....
Going forward, you'll have to keep that in mind.
Nino: Check weapon.
Yeah, this lovely sword is fine enough for you.
You are not an expert, so it looks like there might be more for you to learn when it comes to sword techniques. Still, this sword's familiar weight and grip are a comfort, to be honest.
But compared to Reed's metal-arm-shooty-thingies, there's nothing extra special about it. It is just a decent sword. Aria's weapon is the same.
Nino: Check Aria's weapon.
Why did she even pick such a thing? It feels out of place.
She's also weirdly adept with it.
Aria: Demonstrate unexpectedly deadly-looking improvised self-defense technique.
- Nino: Aria, where did you learn to swing that thing like that?
- Nino: It's such a weird choice for a weapon.
- Aria: Oh, this was from Reed...
- Aria: It's just a temporary self-defense thing!
- Aria: I can use it well enough for that purpose.
- Nino: Temporary?
- Nino: For something you just got, you're too good with it.
- Aria: I've used small axes before.
- Aria: Once you get used to the weight and shape difference, it's easy to use.
- Aria: This feels like the same thing to me, except lighter.
- Aria: So that means I can swish-swoosh it around faster!
- Aria: Chop-chop-chop! Haha! Hehe!
- Aria: Isn't it nice?
- Nino: T-that's great...
Which... could be handy? Yeah!? God, who knows with her!
Reed: Yeah, about that...
- Reed: That stuff wasn't all from me, Aria.
- Aria: Huh? But I found it using that blue nail file...
- Reed: Neither was that.
- Reed: Remember when I... talked about the professor?
- Reed: What you saw were mechanisms of his hidden in the monster world.
- Reed: I only used them to provide what little help I could give.
- Aria: Oh... it wasn't little!
- Aria: I am very indebted to you for it, so thank you.
- Reed: ...Don't mention it.
- Aria: But this means... the professor made that hidden storage-like thing himself?
- Reed: Yeah. That's the only possibility, really.
- Reed: There's a non-zero chance he's done a lot in that world.
- Aria: Huh? But he's a human, so why...?
- Reed: I have no clue.
- Reed: One day, I just found some design notes stashed in his old workplace.
- Reed: And in the monster world, I ran into the same mechanisms they depicted.
- Reed: As you've seen... it's a bit strange.
- Reed: The things he left there can be used to rescue humans,
- Reed: And to help navigate that world.
- Reed: Even though he'd designed them during a time of peace...
- Reed: Prior to any of the events that made them useful in this way.
- Aria: How strange... sounds like he was planning ahead, in a way.
- Aria: Did he somehow predict the human extermination period as a likely future?
- Aria: Since you said he was a genius scientist!
- Reed: Excuse me. I didn't say that.
- Reed: Nino and Meimona did. And the books about him.
- Aria: Oh...
- Reed: So. I guess he technically is.
- Aria: ...Y-yeah, right?
- Aria: Then this means he wanted to help his own kind, doesn't it?
- Reed: I can't say for sure.
- Reed: I never knew what that old man was ever thinking.
- Reed: It's just so convoluted sometimes, that I...
- Reed: ...Never mind.
- Reed: I don't have a definitive answer.
- Reed: But at least, you now know enough to satisfy your curiosity.
...But it also brings its fair share of additional questions.
How did those secret mechanisms remain undiscovered for so long? Is this file a "key" to unlock them? Then, could there be other things you might've found with it? Why, you were going to leave this little thing behind, but you're definitely keeping it now!
Maybe, if Reed's mission succeeds, you'd even be able to thank the professor for indirectly helping you out like this. The professor did sound dubious a few times, but it's undeniable that he's done some good, after all.
For a moment, you wonder what kind of father an accomplished scientist makes.
He certainly has an interesting son, if a bit rude at first.
Check #2: Recovery.
You've got the most obvious first choice, and BEST choice.
Check it out! Healing hands are a go!
- Reed: That's a really uncreative name.
- Nino: I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that.
- Nino: Look, if something hurts any of you, then I'll just un-hurt you! Easy!
- Reed: ...It's not bad.
- Reed: But it's better if we avoid damage in the first place.
- Aria: Yeah, that's preferable.
- Nino: Uh... sure, we'll be as stealthy as possible.
- Aria: Could we have another recovery option just in case?
- Aria: Maybe something like a first aid kit!
- Meimona: Wuh... that's so lame.
- Aria: I-Is it?
- Meimona: It sounds very normal! I don't like that.
- Reed: It's a good idea, don't listen to this crow.
- Meimona: Wah! What did you just call me!
- Nino: Yeah, I guess it's not a bad idea.
- Nino: I don't exactly have unlimited healing.
- Nino: But where would you get first aid kits from?
- Aria: I don't know... I was hoping one of you guys would, haha...
- Meimona: Mmmm...OK, fine!
- Meimona: If even our leader's on board, then I guess I'll help you newbies out.
- Aria: Oh! You know where to get a kit from?
- Meimona: Sure do! We can borrow first aid stuff from the sea patrol!
- Meimona: They always have 'em in the little storage house by the docks.
- Aria: Umm... Mei...
- Nino: Meimona...
- Reed: Mei. Really.
- Meimona: What?
- Reed: We've gone over this.
- Aria: I guess you just can't help yourself, huh...
- Meimona: W-what are you talking about?
- Nino: Well, when you say "borrow", don't you mean...
- Meimona: Aah! No, no, I'm not stealing, I swear!
- Reed: I bet she was thinking it.
- Aria: Kleptomania is more serious that I thought. D:
- Meimona: Nooo! I'm a reformed woman, you guys!
- Meimona: I'm seriously just plain borrowing for once!
After all, you've got all you need right here.
Nino: Check Healing Hands.
Your healing was replenished some more after eating a good meal! Ah, yes, as soon as you saw food on the table, you suddenly realized how famished you were. Aria's muffin breakfast was such a blessing.
Even though she kept expectantly staring as you ate it, for some reason...
Anyway! This much healing is enough for your little journey.
But it does mean that these guys would be hopeless without you. So the first aid stuff is for them, right? Even though you'll accompany them all the way...?
Eh, so be it. Whatever helps keep them on board.
You make a mental note to swing by the docks and pick up a kit later.
Nino: Consider telling the party about your self-harm trump card.
But at the very least, you decide to tell them about Fortification.
You nonchalantly explain how your healing tends to empower the injured for some amount of time. Suddenly, they react very favorably. As if their faith in you grew much stronger. Uh... you weren't expecting that at all.
Now you definitely won't tell them about the other way of using it...
Lest they get any nonsensical reservations about it.
In the first place, you also don't want to resort to hurting yourself!
Instead, your plans should be geared around avoiding all conflict in the first place. That means no fighting unless absolutely necessary, and that if any fights should happen, then safely fleeing would be the priority.
With that in mind, it's time to craft the safest route possible.
Check #3: Travel route.
For a very brief moment, you panic about not having a map on hand... until Aria cheerfully asks Reed something, and he just materializes a map for you.
These guys really are the best people for this plan.
I had to cut this update a little short because of time constraints, but they will continue & conclude their preparations next update I promise...
Nino hit the jackpot in terms of party members suited for this kind of journey.
I can't wait to see how it spirals out of control
Well, so much for the muffin idea
Check #4: A Boat. You guys need one.
the whole point of the plan is that they don't need a boat...?
Official charter ship is definitely gonna be avoided, but a ship might not be the most useful due to having to keep it in the water and thusly leaving a trail. Quick ships would use motors for sounds, and other types would be slow, so a potential use is something to go over short distances.
No, they need a boat to get to the barrier, so they can find a way through
Every day, Meimona gets closer to becoming the strongest character in fiction.
if you believe that, she already is
I, Mysteriousmaverick, declare that Meimona Corvus has 0 stats, and that she is completely useless.
Also that she’s gonna get nerfed due to being similar to a crutch character.
"WAAAAAAH NINO MAKE THAT COMMENTER STOP"
i never thought of the fact that somebody believing too much in mei could be detrimental>
i was thinking like
if somebody believed she was a god, she would be a god>
but, at the same time, i guess if somebody believed she was dangerous, she would be dangerous>
i wonder if that could mean that if somebody believed strongly that she was useless it would actually *make her useless*>
It's possible to believe in a lot of things for Mei, but are they all things that Mei herself is happy about? Does she ever *want* to be that strong? That's the question no one asks.
Nino: Nino, there is something very wrong here. There is something wrong with Aria, there is something wrong with this world, and there is something wrong with you. How did Aria gain so much will? How did everybody come to trust you so fast? Why are you fighting with creations within your own mind? Somebody out there knows things you do not. That look in Aria’s eyes earlier, there is something off there, notice more. She might not know however. Your memories may fail you, trust your instincts, and recognize the madness. Even when it seems that you are alone, just think, and do not speak loud. Get a journal if you need to, but always stay on edge, if you want your goals to be reached, and everyone to be safe. Go and plan, keep this to yourself until they can be convinced, they will not know for some time.
Aria: Wait, how did Reed give you that weird file, and know where it was supposed to go? Communicate, just to make sure.
Party: Mandatory inventory inspection & plan time.
Boy you might be a bit too skeptic!
A bit too skeptic is obviously code for not skeptic enough, I had my suspicions, but Hans put me on overdrive, and helped me glimpse a much more than one small part of the painting. I understand everything now. Why did Aria have that look in her eyes? It wasn’t a normal look, no matter what anyone says. Why did everyone trust Nino so easily, to the point of Reed trusting Nino being a tool, and why does Nino instinctually know stats, to the point of instantaneously embracing instinct, and Kotori knowing of someone going to attack Prince Suvillan? Why did Nino “forget” so close to Five, when he had no reason to fall and gain amnesia? The reactions of Nino and his World are the Key to The Destruction of The End.
Your forgetting the most important question…
How exactly does an ocean falls?
Obviously due to a conspiracy between the celestials and winged of the past generations, with humans and monsters on both sides of course.
If someone believes in Meimona strongly but has never actually seen her and therefore pictures her appearance differently, would Meimona's appearance change?
I don't think her actual appearance would change, but maybe that person would see her differently? like how people don't recognize her with her "disguise" on even though she's clearly the same person
Yes, you're correct
Nino: What magicks materialize Churlish Reed’s yon map? Truly, on the bounds of safety, you must travel far on the path of knowledge and learning, and ask young Reed thy question!
Aria: Check #0, fire a question and make sure that it was really Reed who gave you the file, and recover potential information about it being maybe something/someone else. It may help your all in your travels. Also, did you learn about the luck of the heavens yet?
Someone: Maybe something needs to be done about Nino seeming to get memory loss when he crosses the barrier.
Snowangel: Rise Up